Certificate and Bachelors Programmes
JWL academic programmes are at least one year/12 months long, yielding either a certificate or a degree.
Certificate in Liberal Studies
The Certificate in Liberal Studies, accredited by XIM University (India), is considered a foundational programme and a prerequisite for admission to the BA in Sustainable in Development. Liberal studies provide an excellent foundation for the challenges and opportunities that students will encounter in their personal and professional lives. Students learn to study within and across disciplines and to view the world and issues from different perspectives.
Through liberal studies, students develop the following skills:
- Complex problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Ethical thinking
- Written and oral communication
The Certificate in Liberal Studies programme includes the following courses (11 courses/30 credits):
- Bridge to Learning (0 credits)
- Academic Writing
- Interpersonal Communication
- Dynamic Algebra
- Introduction to Physical Science
- Ethics and the Human Person
- Religions and Relations
- Introduction to Political Thought
- Introduction to Sociology
- Human Rights and Women's Rights
- Introduction to Business
The definition of a credit hour is based on time spent in mentored learning activities that are directed toward student learning outcomes. All courses have designated learning outcomes. Three-credit hour courses require a minimum of 30 hours of mentored learning activities during an 8-week session.
Each course requires learners to complete individual studying, reading, and writing in addition to mentored learning activities, but these activities are not counted toward credit hours. For each course, a student is evaluated and graded by an academic professor to ensure our academic standard are upheld.
BA Sustainable Development
Environmental and social crises are affecting populations across the globe on a massive scale, particularly in fragile, conflict and post-conflict regions. Environmental sustainability is key to the future of humanity and all have a role to play in turning the tide.
Course outcomes & delivery
The Bachelor of Arts in Sustainable Development, accredited by XIM University (India), consists of 129.75 credits, 30 courses, two internships, and a final project.
The programme enables learners to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of the development landscape at local, regional and global levels.
- Acquire analytical and managerial skills to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate sustainable development programmes.
- Set up business and social enterprises leading to sustainable development.
- Act as stewards for protecting our common home.
- Become leaders of peace and voices to foster hope for creating a more just and humane world.
The programme is a global one, with courses offered by two academic partners in addition to XIM University: Newman Institute (Sweden) and Hekima University College, Kenya. XIM University will award the BA in Sustainable Development degree to students who successfully complete all the courses in the programme.
The Certificate in Liberal Studies is a prerequisite for the BA in Sustainable Development.
Bachelor of Science in Leadership
Creighton University invites JWL Diploma in Liberal Studies graduates to apply for a scholarship to complete their bachelor's degree in one of its online bachelor's degree programmes. Students will major in Leadership Studies and can choose to also minor in Healthy Lifestyle Management. Grounded in the Jesuit leadership paradigm, this program prepares students for leadership opportunities not just at work, but also in the ordinary activities of everyday life. Central to this adult-focused interdisciplinary leadership programme is the premise that the leader must know him or herself.
Course outcomes & delivery
B.S. in Leadership:
- Disciplinary Competence: Articulate and apply leadership theories and practices in a variety of settings.
- Critical Thinking: Practice critical thinking in a variety of leadership situations.
- Ethics: Apply ethical practices and Ignatian values in a variety of environments.
- Communication Skills: Demonstrate effective communication skills for personal and organisational leadership.
- Deliberative Reflection: Practice deliberate reflection for personal and professional formation.
- Diversity: Demonstrate an awareness for the diversity of individuals.
Minor in Healthy Lifestyle Management:
Healthy Lifestyle Management is the study of theory and practice of whole person health. It is fostered through the beliefs and actions of the care of others and self by building relationships, refining practices springing from reflection, and appreciating the interconnectedness of all things. The program is interdisciplinary and combines the theory of social sciences with the application of natural sciences to promote the fullest sense of personal well-being. Students learn to foster the creation of health so that each individual can optimally thrive in the community in which they live, work, and spend their time.